Why does play matter? What can I do?
Every day children grow stronger through play. It improves physical health, social and emotional well-being, and creative abilities. Play empowers kids and benefits the whole child. It's an essential part of childhood.
But not all kids have access to play. Almost half of all low-income kids don’t get any recess at all. Too many kids do not have access to a safe place to play and this has harmful consequences for our society. 1 in 3 children are obese or overweight. 1 in 5 have a diagnosable mental illness, with rates of depression higher than ever before.
Have a birthday? You can help.
Pledge your birthday today and help give all kids access to play. There's no greater gift than sharing the joy of play with other kids and this birthday you can do just that. Whether starting a fundraiser, donating, or both-- you can make the world a better, more playful place. #Playmatters so come play! You can give back and make this your best birthday ever.
Ready to get started? You can spread the word - ask people to celebrate with you. You can also download these images (1, 2, 3) to post out to friends and family. Feeling a little lost and need some help? Check out our tip sheet on reaching out.
Or maybe you're hosting a party... Feeling a little silly? We are too! Let’s get the party started. Download some party hats, birthday crowns, and invitation inserts to add more play to the special day.
What can my gift do?
- $15 could provide a “how to” book of outdoor games to a class in need of play.
- $35 could help a community gain access to the resources they need to build a playground on their own.
- $50 could buy a swing seat to help kids soar.
- $100 could buy paint for a colorful mural.
- $250 could buy a stage so kids can perform anything they can imagine.
- $350 could help create more playful cities by supporting our annual Playful Leader’s Summit.
- $500 could help ensure recess is a daily activity for all kids.
- $750 could fuel innovative thinking that develops the playground of the future.
- $1,000 could buy a see-saw to help make new friends on a playground.
Your gift to KaBOOM! will support our entire mission. Your donation, along with the donations of others, will help give kids the balance of active play they need to grow up healthy and happy.